Saturday, May 23, 2009

Waiting for Godot

Well, like Estragon (what a name!) and Vladimir, I am still waiting for Godot to make his appearance.  I'm at the end of the first act, and am having a couple of hershey's kisses as my reward.  So far, I know that Estragon's boots and Vladimir's hat have some significance, and I also am picking up on the constant refrain of "nothing matters" and its nihilistic point of view.  There's an interesting comment upon memory, too.  And of course there's the ominous tree and the question of whether or not one or both of them will hang themselves.  The cover of my book says that the play is a tragicomedy in two acts.  I'm no genius, but I'm thinking maybe that tree has something to do with the tragedy part of that description.  Will update after reading Act 2.

UPDATE:  I don't know why but these are my favorite lines in the play..... Let's go_We can't_Why not?_We're waiting for Godot_Ah!

Another thing that's interesting about this play is it's treatment and commentary of time. ...

Okay, so I'm now done with the play.  I'm not sure what I think about it.  It's both interesting and strange.  It's one of those things where I think I get it, but I'm not sure that I got it all.  Does the tragedy lie in waiting for something that never comes?  Or in believing that something will come but in reality nothing ever comes?  Or, is the meaningless repetition of each day, not seeing any real differences between one day to the next and having those differences that do exist mean nothing, the tragedy?  If these questions make no sense, then I've totally gotten into the mood of the play, which is thought provoking but in some ways makes no sense!  I am left with many questions at the end and not a whole lot of answers.  Ah! 

One last note:  there's an excerpt from The London Times on the back of the book:  "...one of the most noble and moving plays of our generation, a threnody of hope deceived and deferred but never extinguished; a play suffused with tenderness for the whole human perplexity; with phrases that come like a sharp stab of beauty and pain" - HMM.......

And yes, I had to look up threnody too. 

No comments: