Monday, May 18, 2009

Reading This Week & 110 Titles to Consider

First of all the fun stuff.  I'll be teaching Reading Now in the fall and I am totally stoked.  I'm already compiling a list of potential books and short story collections.  The hardest part will be choosing!  Here's what I have so far:

The Poe Shadow_Matthew Pearl; The Road_Cormac McCarthy; Interpreter of Maladies_Jhumpa Lahiri; My Sister's Keeper_Jodi Picoult; The Omnivore's Dilemma_Michael Pollan; You Suck_Christopher Moore; Then We Came to the End_Joshua Ferris; Admission_Jean Hanff Korelitz; Apologize, Apologize!_Elizabeth Kelly; Round Ireland with a Fridge_Tony Hawks; Bright Lights, Big Ass_Jen Lancaster; A Place So Foreign and Eight More_Cory Doctorow; and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies_Seth Grahame-Smith (thanks to JM for those last two inspired ideas).  

Now I have promised that I will finish reading Howards End, and that I will also read Beckett's Molloy and the rest of the Katherine Mansfield short stories (The Doll's House, The Garden Party, At the Bay, The Stranger, Pictures, Bliss, Prelude, and The Daughters of the Late Colonel) I have assigned myself as well as make final selections of poetry for my first list.  Yep.  Those are my promises.  Hope I can keep them!

And to that end, I'm off to read...

1 comment:

JM said...

I haven't read The Poe Shadow but I really liked Pearl's Dante Club. I'm also teaching Interpreter of Maladies in 373! Nice w/ the Pollan in there...and obviously I like the last two options on the list. :)