Sunday, May 31, 2009

110 & Other Musings

so, i have a list of books from which to make final selections for 110 in the fall.  here it is:

1 - The Road - Cormac McCarthy
2 - The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
3 - Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris
4 - Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks
5 - A Place So Foreign and Eight More - Cory Doctorow
6 - The Visibles - Sara Shepard
7 - The Likeness - Tana French
8 - Eat Pray Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
9 - Interpreter of Maladies - Jhumpa Lahiri
10 - Bright Lights, Big Ass - Jen Lancaster
11 - My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult*

*My Sister's Keeper will definitely be among the final selections, it's the choice from last year's 110 class.

Plus I just got the Best American Essays 2008 so I will choose some essays from there to add more non-fiction to the list of texts.  The only thing I feel like I'm really being remiss about not adding is a graphic novel.  I'll have to think on that.  But I have gotten non-fiction, sci-fi, suspense, short stories, and general fiction on the list, and a couple of pulitzer prize winners to satisfy anyone who feels like we should read "serious literature".    some of the narrative non-fiction also doubles as travel narrative too so that's so sweet.  and only the road and my sister's keeper have been made into movies, so i can live with that.  i didn't want to have a lot of books that had also been adapted to the silver screen.  my one other immediate concern is whether or not a bunch of 18-22 year olds will have read eat pray love.  i know a lot of people my age who have read it, but i'm not sure that your typical college student would have picked it up.  well, i have the books on order or have them on my table just waiting for me to pick them up and read them, so i'm hoping to have my mind made up by june 30th - that's my deadline!

currently sitting in my office right now, blogging instead of working.  i should be grading, or planning for my 101 this week, or reading for my exams.  i've basically told myself i have to stay here until 5pm and then i can go home but i'm really hoping that i can actually get something done in these 3.5 hours...other than blogging!  guess i'll have to wait and see and report back later....

3 comments:

sanrac said...

can i suggest a few short stories/creative non-fiction that i love from the past 18/20 years?

susan orlean "the american man at age 10"

mona simpson "lawns"

margaret atwood "happy endings"

there is a ton more, but i think susan orlean's piece is a great example of narrative non-fiction, and mona simpson's short story is just insane. margaret atwood's piece is just a little fun. and says a lot about plot development/story writing.

BlueFlame said...

excellent! thanks for the recommendations!

JM said...

i was just talking to a prof friend of mine at this conference and she said totally do the hawk book b/c it's great.