Saturday, January 24, 2009

Whipped Cream = Rocket Science?

Yes, I know.  This post is entirely indicative of just how much my caffeine addiction shapes my perspective on the world--okay, maybe that's an overstatement.  It at least shapes my very first perspective on the world once I leave my happy home and venture out.  

So this morning, I wake up, and it's snowing outside.  I don't drive in the snow if i can absolutely help it.  The snow wasn't supposed to start until tonight, but even yesterday i was thinking it would start early.  Anyway, the snow--and my general dislike of driving in it--made me change my plans for this morning.  Rather than driving myself to campus, and stopping for coffee on the way, I decided to walk downtown to the coffee shop and get my coffee there and then catch the bus to campus.  So I do what I always do--order a 16oz. nonfat mocha with whipped cream.  Now, before I go further, you have to know that the coffee shop I go to has this thing where they put a little dollop of whipped cream on top of the lid.  I could do without that namely because it just helps me get more lipstick on the lid than is necessary, but whatever.  This morning, however, it occurs to me that asking for whipped cream on a nonfat mocha is in fact rocket science for some baristas.  Some of them just can't seem to get it through their heads that just because I want nonfat milk doesn't mean that I don't want the whipped cream.  Why would I specifically ask for the whipped cream if that was the case?  I'm so used to people wanting to deprive me of the whipped cream that I have just worked my request into my order. Well, for the barista making my mocha this morning, putting whipped cream in my drink is apparently rocket science.  She hands me my drink, with a dollop of whipped cream on top.  Okay, that's just my indication that she remembered the whipped cream and I walk away happily to go and catch the bus.  When I get to the corner of the street and am waiting for the little white pedestrian to replace the big red hand on the walking signal, I realize that she didn't put any whipped cream in my drink.  She only put it on top of the lid.  WHAT KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE??!!???  None, I tell you.  Seriously?  Someone asks for whipped cream in their drink and you're only going to put it on top of the lid and NOT IN THE DRINK?  HELLO? I mean, talk about ridiculous.   

And see, I'm not usually one of those people who makes a server fix something if it's not 100% correct.  You put onions in my enchiladas when I asked you not to? Okay, I'll just have to pick them out.  You accidently put mushrooms on my pizza, okay, I'll pick them off.  Coffee, however, is the primary exception to this rule.  You don't make my $4 coffee correctly and I usually make you fix it.  EXCEPT when I'm worried about missing the bus, which was the case this morning.  So...I drank my nonfat mocha this morning without the heavenly luxury of whipped cream.  But truly, tomorrow when I get my coffee, if one of the people who's usually there in the morning is there, they're going to get to hear this story.   

1 comment:

sanrac said...

i seriously laughed for about a minute when i got to the "she put it on my lid" part.
priceless!
i mean, doesn't it kind of make up for the fact that many people are ....um, well, lacking?
because it can be so funny!