Monday, December 6, 2010

#reverb10 - day 6 - MAKE

What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?

I think I could answer this question in several ways; however, the last thing that I made that gave me joy and happiness was a work of fiction.  It was something that I had been working on for a while on and off, and finally I was able to write those two very fun and wonderful words: the end.  This particular project didn't start in 2010, I'm not even sure that it started in 2009, but the important thing is that it was finished in 2010 and when it was finished I had this enormous sense of accomplishment and just sheer happiness, probably the one time this year that I felt like I was flying.  What materials did I use?  Well, I am one of those people who prefers to write longhand instead of in some kind of word document or text file, so my primary materials were pens (a different color for each day of writing, so that I can see and track my progress) and a composition notebook (I would love to say that this is the 99 cent variety, but they're no longer 99 cents). Eventually the writing goes into a word document so yes, eventually my computer is one of the materials I use, but it's not one of the primary materials.  Imagination and time and dedication and frustration were all key materials in finishing that project, too. Oh, and a really great playlist on my iPod.  Lots of smooth jazz.

There is something that I want to make in 2011.  It's called a dissertation.  I am in the process of making it now, a process that did begin in 2010.  And yes, I do need to clear some time in order to complete that project.  How am I going to do that?  No really, how am I going to do that?  I already lead a pretty isolated life, so apparently more isolation isn't what I need in order to be able to clear time to complete my project.  I think I'm going to have to dig deep for some will and determination.  Those two things have been significantly lacking in the last few weeks, particularly as they pertain to the dissertation.

No comments: