Thursday, July 30, 2009

Odds and Ends

well, i had an excellent meeting with my diss chair today. got some questions answered and everything is on track.  woo-hoo.  what makes me even more happy is to hear that my prospectus only has to be 10-15 pages and also that the structure of my dissertation is at the moment up to me.  i love when i get to make my own rules.  i also love that my chair knows i'm a perfectionist and tries to keep me from sabotaging myself and also that he's figured out that i always try to do much and tries to convince me to do much less.  

so i made this very silly goal last saturday to read 7 books in 7 days.  what was i thinking?  well, i know what i was thinking.  i have a crapload of reading to do and i need to be more serious about doing it.  but seriously, a book a day?  i should have known that that wasn't feasible.  i guess the good thing is that i've read 3 books since saturday--the good soldier, to the lighthouse, and dubliners.  i'm about halfway through the heart of the matter and hopefully i can finish that by tomorrow.  it's a lot slower than the quiet american and not nearly half as interesting.  so it's been hard to get through.  seems i'm having that problem with several books because i'm partially through several books right now.  i was just thinking that the day that i'm only in the middle of one book...well, that'll be an unusual day to say the least.  it'll definitely be something to blog about if that day ever comes.

big fun is only 2 weeks away....this time 2 weeks from now i'll be in seattle and then off to chicago for baseball!! i absolutely can't wait.  i haven't been out of pullman (well, i guess i should say eastern washington) since march.  it's definitely time for a change of scenery and for me to get my big city fix.  i'll have to see if there's a half-price books in seattle and also plan to do some shopping.  i so much need some new clothes for teaching this fall.

1 comment:

sanrac said...

yay i am glad he was ok with all of your plans! this is great news! although, i'm not surprised. your plans always sound pretty solid, when it comes to your academics. (with the exception, i guess, of the 7 books in 7 days plan)