Thursday, August 28, 2008

Jane Eyre and US Open Tennis

My favorite two weeks of the year have finally arrived -- U.S. Open Tennis is finally underway in Flushing Meadows NY. I must devour and savor these two weeks since, alas, this is the last year coverage of the open will be on USA Network. I'm so unhappy that the open is moving to ESPN next year. Don't get me wrong. I love ESPN. The problem is that I'm greatly doubtful that ESPN will have the wall to wall coverage that USA has. If they follow their pattern for the other three grand slams, most likely coverage will be shared with The Tennis Channel (which of course I don't have) and then minimal coverage on ESPN2. Plus, they will primarily only show the American tennis players, which anyone who follows tennis knows that while the American tennis players are fun to watch, they're not always the best in the world, and when there are no Americans in action, there will be no coverage. Listen to me now and believe me later and if you don't believe me, just take a look at how the other three slams are handled next year and you'll have an idea of what is to come. Bye bye, to the marriage of USA Network and the US Open. You will be sadly missed by those who are lovers of tennis, no matter what countries are being represented.

Reader, I have completed Jane Eyre. I am quite certain that my reaction to the novel is different than most because I read Wide Sargasso Sea before Jane Eyre, but, I have to say that I was satisfied at the end of the novel--Jane got her much older man who was only a shadow of himself, someone she could "please" and in some ways control, and Rochester got his young submissive wife who would dote on him and happily do his bidding and follow his every command. More importantly, however, there is definitely some good stuff as far as colonization and imperialism that I could possibly use for the big dissertation. Now I am on to Vanity Fair, which was, I have discovered, halfway through serial publication at the time that Jane Eyre was published and coincidentally, Bronte dedicated her novel to W.M. Thackeray. Quite the little world even in Victorian times, I suppose.

Lastly, dear reader, I am 4/5 of the way through my first week of the semester. Wednesday, I have discovered, is going to be my most difficult day of the week. Because I have gone and done the unthinkable (i.e., registered for a yoga class that meets from 6.30-7.30 on MWF), my day will start at 6 and end at 4. I know, I have no reason to complain, lots of people would love my schedule, so don't cry for me reader. But don't be surprised when I'm fast asleep by 10pm and brain dead at noon.

No comments: